Disclaimer:

Some of the products used on my blog may have been provided by the vendor mentioned in my posts

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Metallics: Gingersnaps

You may need to enlarge this image to notice both the metallics used in it and the deep intaglio embossing that I have used. The stamp of books is from Serendipity Stamps which I particularly like and Serendipity are the sponsors over on Gingersnaps this month. It worked very well for this technique as these stamps, as i have said before, are very deeply etched.
I started off by painting he chipboard shape with acrylic paint. Whilst it was still wet I sprinkled Moonshadow Olive Gold embossing powder over the top, available from The Stampman. This caught where the paint was still wet. These embossing powders give a lovely metallic two-toned effect. I decided I wanted more so smooshed an embossing pad over the surface and added more. Then I made a mistake and added some too dark powder, Midnight Emerald, I think. Top Left corner. So I had to reheat this area and tried to it scrap off. When I thought I had softened it enough I added little bits of Madonna Robe powder to the right hand side. I then used an embossing pen and gold powder around the edges. Next I prepared my stamp with archival black ink ready to stamp once I had covered the whole lot with extra thick clear embossing powder that was hot and melted. The left hand side of the books looked too dark because of the remaining Midnight Emerald powder so I lightened with acrylic paint lightly applied to high ridges and painted gold into the hollows.
Added reading time because the theme this month is Time. It also reminded me of when my children were little. We always enjoyed reading time and looking at books together. One of the trips we often did was to the local library where we would rummage and explore the children's books and decide which to take home. This acted as a fun time as well as a trip out.

6 comments:

Lesley Edmonds said...

Ooo nice! I like this one! Fab colours and texture.
Lesley x

PetraB said...

I like this one a lot, the colour combination is just very intriguing. Thank you also for sharing the techniques you used.

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous and very inspiring. The colours are great and intaglio is such a cool technique.

sam21ski said...

Wow Laura this is stunning xxxx

Jean Franks Beck said...

WOW, Laura, this is soooo beautiful! Just love the deep embossed look you got, and the wonderful shimmer.

Anonymous said...

Completely beautiful! What a lovely piece!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...