Disclaimer:

Some of the products used on my blog may have been provided by the vendor mentioned in my posts

Saturday 23 January 2010

CREATING BACKGROUNDS WITH ACRYLIC PAINTS

To start choose about 3 background colours to work with. It can be more, this is just a starting point. Paper towel, spritz bottle and a sponge for each colour for application.

I am working in my journal where the pages are a thick water colour paper.

Start dabbing the colours onto the page into different areas. Fill the page with colour blending slightly where they meet. Not too much or it could go muddy. Leave to dry.

When the page is full and dry you can add some mask or stencils and dab over them.

Here I have used a scroll dabbed over with translucent blue and below is with a crown and some red added over the top.

You can use your non stick craft mat to put the paints onto. I tend to ruin other pages when I do this as I get carried away and forget there is paint on it.

Now I have chosen a rubber stamp to use and have applied white acrylic paint to it and stamped with it.

The next stage I have dabbed through some sequin waste. I always love the way this adds a wonderful layer.

On the top left corner you can see that I have turned the sequin waste over and have created a subtle negative print from paint left on it. You need to do this before the paint dries.

I have then added some stamping, a little journaling and stamped a figure onto patterned paper, cut out and stuck on.

Here are some other backgrounds from the journal. Some not finished yet, but show how different colours work.




Just play with what you have to hand. This last page was coloured by using Adirondack sprays. This is a much quicker method and gives a different effect.

21 comments:

Lynn Stevens said...

This is beautiful. I love how you showed each step, I need to give this a try. Loosen up with my style!

Sarah Anderson said...

Fab Laura!! Just off to teach this again this am; great to see more of your pages :)

Hels Sheridan said...

Fantastic TUT Laura, loving all those layers of colours...looks amazing!! Hugs x

Lesley Edmonds said...

Thank you sharing how you do your backgrounds Laura. As I'm new to all this journally it's been really helpful and I shall put into practice what I've learned. Thanks so much.
Lesley x

PetraB said...

I only recently bought some acrylic paints, I've never used them before. Now I know what to do - well, I will try (LOL). Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. Petra.

sam21ski said...

It's amazing what you can come up with if you just have a little faith in yourself and go for it. Once there are images on there, it brings the pages to life

TFS - fantastic pages Laura

Gez Butterworth said...

Absolutely brilliant Laura! Thanks for sharing. Your journal pages look fabulous. Love the sequin waste. I have a roll somewhere but can't find it anywhere!!

Have a great weekend. Gez.xx

Kirsti said...

Great tutorial with the different steps and layers... well done... really need to get some of that sequin waste for backgrounds....xoxo

Unknown said...

I loved your picture lesson on creating your backgroun... you rock!

Clau said...

Great tutorial. I am so glad to have come across your blog.

Lori said...

Wow, this is a great tute. I'm gettin' out my paints! Lovely work!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful , I can't wait to try for myself ! Thank you !

Kathy Eddy said...

Wow, I am loving these pages! You make it look easy and I think I am going to have to follow this blog!

julietk said...

Wonderful journal thank you for sharing your process :-)

chrisg said...

hi Laura, just to say your journal pages are STUNNING - thanks for sharing the process

Nancy said...

These are wonderful! Thank you for sharing this.

Unknown said...

What a brilliant tutorial, love it all, brill blog you have, real inspiration xx thanks xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Another fan of paint! Amazing papers you have created. Lynne Moncrieff

Kristin said...

I love these shots - your work is wonderful! Kristin xo

laurel said...

Oh, my! So beautiful. Thank you so much for showing your steps. I'm going to have to play in my journal with that color combination.

Unknown said...

This is pretty! I found your blog by typing "will acrylic paint ruin my rubber stamp?" in Google ... and it led me to you!! Question answered - and I'm inspired to boot!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...