Disclaimer:

Some of the products used on my blog may have been provided by the vendor mentioned in my posts

Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Ginger, Copper and Rust with Gingersnaps


Meet Ginger

A Gingersnap challenge. This is a very quick post before work. I will come back later and edit it to tell you more about the products I used and the problems I encountered along the way. Despite these it was a very enjoyable make. Most the problems I encountered were with the frame which I had started for a different project. Once I conquered my skimping prep work on it things went swimmingly. If you want to know what products I used I will fill in details when I get home.

So now I can go into more details. The frame is a recycled item I had lying around waiting to be re used. I did use sandpaper on it but obviously did not do a thorough enough job as when I applied Viva Croco paint it had great tendencies to fall off in chunks. Never mind I thought. Another sand in the gaps and another coat should do the job. No, same problem but less so. Then I left it for several weeks and when I came back thought that I could just add some more of the paint to the remaining gaps. Gaps getting less all the time. Still not happy so abandoned again. Then Ginger, copper and rust Gingersnaps challenge came along. I wanted this frame and had an idea what to do with the image. So out came the Ferro Metal Effect Gold Iron paint and this was then applied on top of the Croco. Fingers crossed and this did the trick. Horray.  But it looked rather ironish rather than copperish. So I swooshed the surface with an embossing pad to catch the high points and sprinkled with copper embossing powder. I was happy with this.

Ginger started life as a Paper Artsy stamp from the Dolls Plate 1. She was stamped onto card, had her legs and arms chopped off. Given beaded legs and tiny tag arms(which are on the original stamp, but static) I re stamped these onto glimmered card and holed them and jump ringed them to the body. The button was swooshed with an embossing pad to catch the high points and sprinkled with copper embossing powder. A headdress created with foil leaves cut to size  and pretty little electrical things added and a face stuck on. Ginger was born.

I think with the Croco paint I should have used a base coat or primer first and it should have worked better. However this paint fits the theme better and I like the texture the Croco paint gave to the frame as a base coat.

8 comments:

Helen said...

She looks great, can't wait to hear the story behind her!

Hels Sheridan said...

Fabulous...love this loads Laura...have a good day hun x

Linda Ledbetter said...

She is WONDERFUL!!!

Ali Manning said...

This is such a fun and whimsical creation - I love it!

Shar said...

Ginger is fabulous! What a fabulously fun fairy!

Gez said...

She's stunning Laura. I love the look in her eyes! what has she been up too! hehe.. Have a great day.xx

JeanFB said...

This is a fantastically gorgeous piece, Laura! And truly... one of a kind (don't think you'll be wanting to go through all that again, LOL)!

Artyjen said...

Glad you managed to rescue it....looks fab for it! Sometimes things come together just right in the end :)
xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...