Disclaimer:

Some of the products used on my blog may have been provided by the vendor mentioned in my posts

Sunday 31 May 2009

IN MY FATHERS SHOES




This is my entry for the Graphicus May challenge. Blue and Travel.
This is in memory of my Father. I did not start out with the intention of creating lots of memorials for loved ones. I has just happened. I think the spark was kindled with the mention of Father's day.
I also have vivid memories of playing with these shoe trees when I was a little girl. Fascinated with them and making them plod across the floor, wondering how feet could ever become so big? Hence "Take a Giant Step" 
It also relates to those times in your life when you take a step outside of your comfort zone. It always feels like a "Giant step"
Yes this is actually one of my Father's shoe trees which I just could not discard when he died. They had such memories for me. I am not quite sure of the symbolism of shoes, feet? If anyone knows maybe they could enlighten me. But it certainly feels significant.
Layered onto the foot are a couple of sayings that I particularly like:
"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single cup of coffee."
"Give me back my Father's shoes and let me walk in those"
I toyed with the idea to use signposts to hang the shoe tags on as there is a strong connection with travel, but decided to use a branch since the main focal point is the shoe tree. A twig doesn't sound quiet right.
The tags are self drawn onto coloured card and distressed with Tim Holtz distress pads. The stamps used are the Elusive Images Paris stamps.
This piece was quiet difficult to photograph and in the end I had help from my loved one to get some better images. Thanks John.

2 comments:

Artyjen said...

This is a great idea.....I remember my dad had shoe trees too! Good luck in the challenge.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love your idea. My mum haad shoe trees with springy metal strips in the middle!
Maggie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...